1924 West Laurel Street (House), Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL
Find maps of Tampa, FL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS FL-472
Building/structure dates: 1915 initial construction
Significance: This building's architectural and historical significance is derived from its contribution to the West Tampa National Register Historic District. It is a relatively unaltered example of the frame vernacular rowhouse popular in West Tampa between 189401920. This house retains its folk Victorian decorative detailing in the gable end. The city of West Tampa was established in 1895 as a community adjacent to, but separate from, the City of Tampa and remained an incorporated city for thirty years. Like Ybor City, West Tampa was originally developed to promote the cigar industry in Tampa. In 1887, a group of Tampa businessmen, led by Tampa lawyer Hugh C. Macfarlane, began to promote the area west of the Hillsborough River as a possible location for a second cigar manufacturing center. They were successful as cigar factories, social clubs, schools, residences, commercial buildings and other public institutions were constructed. Most of the housing consisted of wood frame vernacular rowhouses and bungalows. This house is a good example of the modified shotgun found in West Tampa.
Macfarlane, Hugh C.
Bailes, Penny Rogo, Photographer
Schwarz, Rebecca Spain, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Tampa, Florida