1920 West Laurel Street (House), Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL
Find maps of Tampa, FL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS FL-475
Building/structure dates: 1910 initial construction
Significance: This building's architectural and historical significance is derived from its contribution to the West Tampa National Register Historic District. It is a recently altered example of the frame vernacular rowhouse popular in West Tampa between 1894-1920. This house retains its exterior configuration but, in 2000, stucco was applied over the original wood siding. The City of West Tampa was established in 1895 as a community adjacent to, but separate from, the City of Tampa and remained as an incorporated city for thirty years. Like Ybor City, West Tampa was originally developed to promote the cigar industry in Tampa. In 1887, a group of Tampa businessmen, led by Tampa lawyer Hugh C. Macfarlane, began to promote the area west of the Hillsborough River as a possible location for a second cigar manufacturing center. They were successful as cigar factories, social clubs, schools, residences, commercial buildings and other public institutions were constructed. Most of the housing consisted of wood frame vernacular rowhouses and bungalows. This house is a traditional example of the wood frame cigar factory worker's house found in West Tampa.
Real Estate Development
Bailes, Penny Rogo, Photographer
Schwarz, Rebecca Spain, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Tampa, Florida