1904 West Laurel Street (House), Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL
Find maps of Tampa, FL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS FL-488
Building/structure dates: 1910 initial construction
Significance: This building's architectural and historical significance is derived from its contribution to the West Tampa National Register Historic District. This ca. 1910 one-and-a-half frame vernacular duplex has been altered through the years with newer windows and several additions to the rear. The attic was also converted later into a residential unit accessed by exterior concrete stairs on the east side. The city of West Tampa was established in 1895 as a community adjacent to, but separate from, the City of Tampa and remained an incorporated city for thirty years. Like Ybor City, West Tampa was originally developed to promote the cigar industry in Tampa. In 1887, a group of Tampa businessmen, led by Tampa lawyer Hugh C. Macfarlane, began to promote the area west of the Hillsborough River as a possible location for a second cigar manufacturing center. They were successful as cigar factories, social clubs, schools, residences, commercial buildings and other public institutions were constructed. Most of the housing consisted of wood frame vernacular rowhouses and bungalows. This house is a good example of the frame vernacular duplex residences found in West Tampa.
Bailes, Penny Rogo, Photographer
Schwarz, Rebecca Spain, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Tampa, Florida