Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Florida

>

Saint Augustine

>

Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church, Valencia & Sevilla Streets, Saint Augustine, St. Johns County, FL



See 22 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB329859

HB329860

HB329861

HB329862

HB329863

HB329864

HB329865

HB329866


Data Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Valencia & Sevilla Streets, Saint Augustine, FL

Find maps of Saint Augustine, FL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS FL-170
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction
Significance: The Memorial Presbyterian Church was donated in 1890 to the St. Augustine First Presbyterian Church by Henry M. Flagler as a memorial to his recently deceased daughter. Flagler, a millionaire philanthropist who originally made a fortune as a business colleague of John D. Rockefeller in Standard Oil, was almost single-handedly responsible for the late 19th-century development of the West Florida Coast as a fashionable resort area. The son of a Presbyterian minister, he was particularly concerned with that church in the first of this Florida resort ventures -- St. Augustine. He therefore donated this structure, the land, and the former parsonage (also built at the same time as the church) to the First Presbyterian Church Congregation, in return for their former properties at the corner of St. George and Hypolita Streets, upon which Flagler had the Municipal Building built (1890) for the city.

Subjects
Presbyterian Churches


Related Names
Cariere & Hastings
McQuire & McDonald


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Prime A. Beaudoin, Photographer September 1961 GENERAL -- FROM SOUTHWEST
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Prime A. Beaudoin, Photographer September 1961 EAST (SIDE) ELEVATION FROM NORTHEAST
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Prime A. Beaudoin, Photographer September 1961 FACING WEST TOWARD CHANCEL AND ORGAN LOFT
4. Historic American Buildings Survey PHOTOCOPY -- HELIOGRAPH PRINT (1'-11'x2'-6') WITH PARTIAL COLORED WASH FROM THE ARCHITECTS' OFFICE (c.1889) PRINT IN COLLECTION OF THE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
5. Historic American Buildings Survey PHOTOCOPY -- HELIOGRAPH PRINT (3'x4') WITH PARTIAL COLORED WASH FROM ARCHITECTS' OFFICE (c.1889). PRINT IN COLLECTION OF THE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
6. Historic American Buildings Survey PHOTOCOPY -- HELIOGRAPH PRINT (2'-11'x2'-9') WITH PARTIAL COLORED WASH FROM THE ARCHITECTS' OFFICE (c.1889) PRINT IN COLLECTION OF MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
7. Historic American Buildings Survey PHOTOCOPY -- HELIOGRAPH PRINT (2'-10 1/2'x3'-3 1/2') WITH PARTIAL COLORED WASH FROM THE ARCHITECTS' OFFICE (c.1889) PRINT IN COLLECTION OF THE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
8. Historic American Buildings Survey PHOTOCOPY -- ORIGINAL ARCHITECTS' DRAWING IN INK ON LINEN (ABOUT 3'-7'x2'-7 1/2') (C. 1889). ORIGINAL IN THE COLLECTION OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA


Back to Saint Augustine, Florida