Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Florida > Pensacola > U.S. Naval Air Station, Public Restroom, South Avenue, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL



See 19 maps of this location


B&W Photos
458) Latrine Building No
HB340156
458) Latrine Building No
458) Building No
HB340157
458) Building No

HB340158

HB340159

HB340160

HB340161

HB340162

HB340163

HB340164


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
South Avenue, Pensacola, FL

Find maps of Pensacola, FL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS FL-491
Building/structure dates: 1916 initial construction
Significance: Constructed in 1916 as a latrine, Building No. 67 played a supportive role in the health and sanitation of workers at the expanding Naval Aeronautical Station and contributed to the installation's preparedness for World War I. Original plans have been located, but the building's designer and contractor are not listed. The building may have been constructed as part of the same contract as the nearby 1916 Seaplane Erecting Shop. Situated near several other fabrication buildings, including the Machine Shop and Blacksmith Shop, the wood and concrete latrine served civilian and service personnel alike. Modifications to the building have been minimal. Interior alterations to create space for a women's toilet in 1980 occurred in advance of designating the building a public restroom. The building is currently unused. Building No. 67 remains compatible in scale and form to its original design. Building No. 67 is located in the southeastern section of NAS Pensacola, within the boundaries of the Pensacola Naval Air Station Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The National Park Service designated this district as a National Historic Landmark (NHL) in 1976. Neither nomination clearly defines the district's period of significance; however, Building No. 67 is not identified as an historic resource within the district.

Subjects
Waste Disposal
Latrines


Related Names
Hughes, Karen, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
CONTEXTUAL VIEW FACING NORTHEAST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF FRONT SIDE FACING NORTHEAST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF NORTH AND FRONT SIDES FACING SOUTHEAST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF BACK SIDE FACING NORTHWEST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF BACK AND SOUTH SIDES FACING NORTHWEST.
SOUTH SIDE FACING NORTH.
INTERIOR FACING NORTH.
Photocopy of drawing (this photograph is an 8" x 10" copy of an 8" x 10" negative; 1916 architectural drawing located at NAS Pensacola, Florida, Building No. 458) LATRINE BUILDING NO. 67 PLANS AND DETAILS, SHEET 1 OF 1.
Photocopy of drawing (this photograph is an 8" x 10" copy of an 8" x 10" negative; 1916 architectural drawing located at NAS Pensacola, Florida, Building No. 458) BUILDING NO. 67 MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL FLOOR PLAN, SHEET 12 OF 34.


Back to Pensacola, Florida