U.S. Naval Air Station, Assembly Hall, Radford Boulevard, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL
See 19 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Radford Boulevard, Pensacola, FL
Find maps of Pensacola, FL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS FL-404
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1058).
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1998 demolished
National Register Number: 76000595
Significance: Building No. 1750 is a contributing building in the proposed Fort Barrancas Cantonment Historic District which has been determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Building No. 1750 was constructed in 1929 during improvements to the Fort Barrancas cantonment. The building was designed to serve as an Assembly Hall for officers and enlisted personnel. It was built with a raised stage and housed activities such as dances, club meetings, indoor games and other recreational activities. It continued to be used a recreational facility into the 1960s and for a period housed a local chapter of the Boy Scouts. During the mid-1970s the building was remodeled to serve as a storage facility for the NAS Pensacola Maintenance Department. Although altered, the building retains its overall form and is included as a contributing building within the proposed Fort Barrancas Cantonment Historic District.
Army's Quartermaster Corps
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
East front, view towards the West
North front, view towards the Southwest
Interior view, facing west from the east front entrance
South front, view towards the North
Detail of original doors, view from interior facing south towards entrance
West front, view towards the Northeast
Interior view, view is towards the stage area along the west wall
Back to Pensacola, Florida