Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Florida

>

Pensacola

>

U.S. Naval Air Station, Aircraft Hangar, Radford Boulevard, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL



See 19 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB340477
BWPhotos 208253

HB340478
BWPhotos 208254

HB340479
BWPhotos 208255

HB340480
BWPhotos 208256

HB340481
BWPhotos 208257

HB340482
BWPhotos 208258

HB340483
BWPhotos 208259

HB340484
BWPhotos 208260

HB340485
BWPhotos 208261

HB340486
BWPhotos 208262

HB340487
BWPhotos 208263

HB340488
BWPhotos 208264

HB340489
BWPhotos 208265

HB340490
BWPhotos 208266


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Radford Boulevard, Pensacola, FL

Find maps of Pensacola, FL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS FL-501
Building/structure dates: 1940 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1980 subsequent work
Significance: Constructed in 1940, Building No. 632 is one of eleven new hangars erected between 1937 and 1940 as part of a massive expansion of Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola's facilities and aviation training program. Building No. 632 was designed by the Navy's Bureau of Yards and Docks (BuDocks) as an aircraft hangar, and its original function supported the direct mission of NAS Pensacola - cadet and officer aviation training. In the late 1980s, NAS Pensacola converted the 105,151 square feet of floor space into recreation offices and a gymnasium, a function that supported base personnel rather than the mission. Building No. 632 is individually eligible for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places due to its historic affiliation with World War II aviation training and the overall context of U.S. Naval aviation history. With its red brick exterior walls, decorative quoins, and limestone detailing, the hangar is an excellent local example of an industrial building that incorporates architectural elements of the Georgian Revival style. The resource has undergone some alterations since its construction, but it retains its historic character and integrity to a noteworthy degree. Building No. 632 is one of many buildings at the station that sustained damage by Hurricane Ivan in September 2004.

Subjects
Recreation
Gymnasiums
Offices


Related Names
U.S. Navy, Bureau Of Yards & Docks
Worley, Lisa E., Historian
Ross, Jennifer R., Historian
Chacon, Olivia, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
CONTEXTUAL VIEW FACING SOUTHEAST.
CONTEXTUAL VIEW FACING NORTHEAST.
NORTH SIDE FACING SOUTH.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF NORTHEAST SIDE FACING SOUTHWEST.
EAST SIDE FACING WEST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF EAST SIDE FACING NORTHWEST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF SOUTHEAST SIDE FACING NORTHWEST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF SOUTHWEST SIDE FACING NORTHEAST.
WEST SIDE FACING EAST.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF NORTHWEST SIDE FACING SOUTHEAST.
DETAIL OF WINDOW AND WALL ON SOUTH SIDE FACING NORTH.
DETAIL OF DOOR ON SOUTH SIDE FACING NORTH.
DETAIL OF LOOKOUT TOWER AT SOUTHEAST CORNER FACING NORTHEAST.
DETAIL OF HANGAR DOORS ON WEST SIDE FACING EAST.


Back to Pensacola, Florida