Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Florida

>

Macclenny vicinity

>

Fish House, Macclenny, Baker County, FL



Drawings


Item Title


Location
Macclenny vicinity, FL

Find maps of Macclenny, FL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS FL-397
Building/structure dates: 1865 initial construction
These drawings were donated to the H/H collection by the University of Florida's College of Architecture; the drawings were produced no earlier than 1974 by architecture students at the University of Florida who chose to participate in the preservation option of the architecture curriculum.

Significance: This site is an early example of a primitive frontier farm built in north central Florida. The log portion of the residence is believed to have been built by a one-armed Confederate veteran named E. Rogerson just after the Civil War. The house was first occupied by the Fish family in 1891, remaining their home until 1952. The architecture is one of expediency, and illustrates how early settlers of the area met the challenges of the environment.

Subjects
Farming
Houses
Log Buildings


Related Names
Rogerson, E.
Yost, Katie, Field Team
Wells, Wayne, Field Team
Tragash, Todd, Field Team
Sklanka, John, Field Team
Johnson, Mark, Field Team
Grant, Stuart, Field Team
Alvarino, Dixon, Field Team


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Macclenny vicinity, Florida