Hialeah Park Race Track, East Fourth Avenue, Hialeah, Dade County, FL
See 19 maps of this location
East Fourth Avenue, Hialeah, FL
Find maps of Hialeah, FL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS FL-389
Building/structure dates: 1924 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1932 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1949 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1954 subsequent work
Significance: Hialeah Park is an historically significant recreation complex which both reflects and has contributed to the development of the City of Hialeah and the popularization of south Florida as a winter resort area since 1925. The Hialeah Park Race Track complex occupies approximately 206 acres. The physical plant consists of the original race track, laid out in 1925, and infield turf track dating from 1932, along with several other features, including numerous stables. The most notable structures are the clubhouse and grandstand, both are enlarged versions of earlier structures. Hialeah Park has contributed to the development of the City of Hialeah and the popularization of south Florida as a winter resort area since its initial opening, January 1, 1925. In 1930, the track was purchased by Joseph B. Widener. Widener redesigned the track, clubhouse, grandstand and stables. Since its reopening in 1932, Hialeah Park has become known as one of horse racing's most prominent tracks.
Racetracks (horse Racing)
Mundy, H. Hasting
Geisler, Lester W.
Wolf Construction Company
John J. Quinn Company
Widener, Joseph E.
Smoot, Joseph F.
Doncsecz, Christopher David, Photographer
Rice, Patty Jo Smith., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Hialeah, Florida