Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Florida

>

Coral Gables

>

University of Miami, Chemistry Laboratory Building, 1300 Campo Santo Drive, Coral Gables, Dade County, FL



Drawings


Item Title


Location
1300 Campo Santo Drive, Coral Gables, FL

Find maps of Coral Gables, FL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS FL-471-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N919).
Building/structure dates: 1943 initial construction
Significance: The University of Miami Chemistry Laboratory Building is located within the University of Miami campus along Campo Sano Drive, adjacent to the historic Gifford Arboretum. In 1943, President Bowman Ashe commissioned Marion Manley, Florida's first licensed woman architect, and Robert Law Weed to design the new masterplan for the University of Miami. Their design included a number of temporary wooden buildings erected quickly in order to accommodate the increasing student enrollment after World War II. The Chemistry Laboratory Building, erected in 1947, was intended to be a temporary classroom building. Local accounts state that this structure was almost entirely constructed of war surplus materials donated by the Federal Government for the Veterans Educational program. This temporary building was erected alongside various structure including twenty-eight long demolished buildings referred to as the shacks. Of these early wooden buildings, only three remain: the Administration Building (current Art Building), the Laboratories (current Art Annex), and the Cafeteria (current Photography studios). The Chemistry building is composed of two wooden barrack-like gabled structures joined together by a "U" shaped bar of smaller ancillary rooms. Ironically, this wooden building which was originally intended to be a temporary structure is now one of the few architectural examples of the University of Miami campus which illustrates the humble beginnings of the young institution and serves as a testament to the crucial role that such temporary World War II surplus buildings played in the shaping of a contemporary American campus.

Subjects
Education
Laboratories
Chemistry


Related Names
Ashe, Bowman
Manley, Marion
Weed, Robert Law
Acosta, Leticia, Delineator
Cuaron, Elisa, Delineator
Oliveira, Alice, Delineator
Arcurio, Joshua, Delineator
Carney, Gerald, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Coral Gables, Florida