Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Delaware

>

Wilmington

>

Masonic Hall & Grand Theater, 818 North Market Street, Wilmington, New Castle County, DE



B&W Photos

HB320063

HB320064

HB320065

HB320066

HB320067

HB320068


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
818 North Market Street, Wilmington, DE

Find maps of Wilmington, DE


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS DE-170
Building/structure dates: 1871 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1910 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1980 subsequent work
Significance: It is one of the finest remaining examples of cast iron architecture in America. It is associated with several major events in Delaware's history, but more importantly, it is famous for its rich theatrical associations, having been a significant showplace during the heyday of American Theater in the last quarter of the 19th century. Upon completion in 1871, Wilmington could finally boast of an excellent theater for public entertainment. At the time, the stage was reputed to be the second largest in America, surpassed only by the Hippodrome. Most of the famous performers of the rime appeared at the Grand including Little Nell, Ethel Barrymore, and George M. Cohen. Plays, minstrel troupes, and even Buffalo Bill Cody's Scouts of the Plain provided a varied theatrical fare. Local musical organizations performed Gilbert & Sullivan operettas and oratorios. Lectures on various subjects were presented. The State Republican and Democratic conventions were also held here. The first motion picture was presented in the theater in 1897. After 1906, they were shown on a regular basis and by 1914 they replaced live performances. Throughout the history of the building the Masons have retained meeting rooms on upper floors of the building and until recently, were the owners of the building.

Subjects
Theaters
Motion Picture Theaters
Masonic Buildings


Related Names
Dixon, Thomas
Carson, Charles L.
Grieves, James
Armstrong, Leslie
Baird, Stephen T.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW SOUTHEAST SHOWING NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION
2. VIEW SOUTH SHOWING NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION
3. VIEW EAST SOUTHEAST ACROSS NORTH (FRONT) BAYS SHOWING CAST IRON
4. VIEW SOUTH, DETAIL OF OUTER WEST BAY ON NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION
5. VIEW SOUTH, DETAIL OF INNER WEST BAY ON NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION
6. VIEW SOUTH, DETAIL OF EAST BAYS ON NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION


Back to Wilmington, Delaware