Seaford Bridge, Spanning Nanticoke River at Front Street, Seaford, Sussex County, DE
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Nanticoke River at Front Street, Seaford, DE
Find maps of Seaford, DE
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER DE-33
Significance: State Bridge Number 151 is the only trunnion bascule bridge inventoried in Sussex County. The trunnion bascule differs from the rolling lift in that the entire weight of the leaf and counterweight are placed in a pit below the deck within the bascule pier. Bridge 151 is considered eligible for the National Register.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW NORTHEAST, WEST SIDE OF BRIDGE WITH OPERATOR'S HOUSE, BRIDGE OPEN.
2. VIEW NORTH, ROADWAY ELEVATION.
3. VIEW SOUTH, ROADWAY ELEVATION.
4. VIEW NORTH, UNDERNEATH RAISED BRIDGE NEXT TO OPERATOR'S HOUSE.
5. VIEW NORTHEAST, SOUTHEAST PARAPET AND WING WALL WITH ORIGINAL PLAQUE INSCRIBED 'NANTICOKE RIVER'.
6. VIEW SOUTHWEST, NORTHWEST PARAPET AND WING WALL WITH ORIGINAL PLAQUE INSCRIBED 'NANTICOKE RIVER'.
7. VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTHEAST PARAPET AND WING WALL WITH ORIGINAL PLAQUE INSCRIBED 'SEAFORD'.
8. VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTHWEST PARAPET AND WING WALL WITH ORIGINAL PLAQUE INSCRIBED 'BLADES'.
9. VIEW WEST, EASTERN PARAPET.
10. VIEW EAST BENEATH DECK OF COUNTERWEIGHT AND MECHANISM FOR LIFT BRIDGE.
11. VIEW SOUTHEAST, WESTERN PARAPET AND OPERATOR'S HOUSE.
Back to Seaford, Delaware