Railroad Avenue Bridge, Spanning Mispillion River on Church Street, Milford, Sussex County, DE
See 51 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Mispillion River on Church Street, Milford, DE
Find maps of Milford, DE
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER DE-36
Part of building/structure is in Milford, Kent County, DE.
Significance: The Railroad Avenue Bridge was designed by William B. Carswell and installed by James A. Hirons, with stonework by Joseph Russo. The bridge was listed as potentially eligible for the National Register of Historic Places when it was identified as the earliest steel girder bridge in the statewide bridge survey.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. OVERALL VIEW FROM NORTH BANK, LOOKING DOWNSTREAM (SOUTHEAST)
2. OVERALL VIEW FROM THE SOUTH BANK LOOKING UPSTREAM (NORTHWEST)
3. DETAIL OF THE NORTHEAST (DOWNSTREAM) WINGWALL, WITH CAPSTONE, LOOKING EAST
4. DETAIL OF CAST AND WROUGHT IRON RAILING WITH SUPPORTING STRUCTURES AND STEEL BEAM, FROM THE NORTH BANK LOOKING SOUTHEAST AT THE WEST (UPSTREAM) SIDE
5. DETAIL OF DATE STONE ON NORTHWEST (UPSTREAM) ABUTMENT, LOOKING SOUTH
Back to Milford, Delaware