Cochran Grange, Bank Barn, U.S. Route 301, West of Route 71, Middletown, New Castle County, DE
See 31 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
West of Route 71, Middletown vicinity, DE
Find maps of Middletown, DE
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS DE-208-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-49).
Building/structure dates: 1834 initial construction
Significance: The Cochran Grange bank barn represents the partial acceptance of a popularly proscribed agricultural building form into an area of intensive agricultural reform. Built to consolidate agricultural functions, the barn actually functioned in the manner of an old style English barn.
Cochran, John P.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW SOUTHEAST SHOWING NORTH AND WEST ELEVATIONS
2. VIEW NORTHWEST SHOWING ARCADED STABLE ENTRIES ON SOUTH ELEVATION
3. VIEW WEST, DETAIL OF GROUND LEVEL ENTRY ON EAST ELEVATION
4. INTERIOR VIEW RUNWAY AND HAY MOWS LOOKING EAST
5. INTERIOR VIEW OF ROOF FRAMING LOOKING NORTHWEST
6. MAIN FLOOR, DETAIL OF PAINTING OF TRAIN ON EAST WALL OF RUNWAY LOOKING EAST
7. MAIN FLOOR, DETAIL OF PAINTING OF DELAWARE BAY OYSTER SCHOONER ON EAST WALL OF RUNWAY LOOKING EAST
Back to Middletown vicinity, Delaware