Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

District of Columbia

>

Washington

>

Lansburgh's Department Store, 420-426 Seventh Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC



B&W Photos

HB295424
Facade

HB295425
Facade, Looking South

HB295426
Interior, Stairs

HB295427
Interior, Basement Stairs

HB295428
Interior

HB295429
Detail; Cast Iron Column


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Northwest, Washington, DC

Find maps of Washington, DC


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS DC-576
Building/structure dates: 1882 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1940 subsequent work
Significance: The first element of the Lansburgh complex was 410-424 7th Street which was built in 1882, at a cost of $30,000, to house the original Lansburgh & Brother Department Store. it was designed by the prominent Washington architectural firm of Cluss & Schulze. It was four stories in height with "Mansard, Romanesque, and Italianate styling with intricate pressed brick and wood detailing.

Subjects
Department Stores


Related Names
Cluss & Schulze
Porter & Locke


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. FACADE
2. FACADE, LOOKING SOUTH
3. INTERIOR, STAIRS
4. INTERIOR, BASEMENT STAIRS
5. INTERIOR
6. DETAIL; CAST IRON COLUMN


Back to Washington, District of Columbia