District of Columbia>
Engine Company No. 24, 3702 Georgia Avenue at New Hampshire Avenue & Rock, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
See 40 maps of this location
3702 Georgia Avenue at New Hampshire Avenue & Rock, Washington, DC
Find maps of Washington, DC
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS DC-776
Significance: Built in 1911, Engine Company No. 24 is an excellent example of early twentieth century suburban firehouse design in Washington, D.C. Designed in the Italian Renaissance style by the locally significant architect Luther Leisenring and his partner Charles Gregg, the firehouse became an established landmark in the local neighborhood of Petworth. As the first fully-motorized fire company in D.C. history, Engine Company No. 24 is also associated with technological advancements which would change fire fighting and fire house design forever. Built to house horses and horse-drawn equipment, the station was stripped of its horse-related equipment within a year of its construction. Two new motorized engines were brought into the station in the fall of 1912, heralding the end of the era of the horse in the District of Columbia Fire Department. The fire house continues to serve the local community today.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Washington, District of Columbia