Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

District of Columbia

>

Washington

>

Embassy Gulf Sevice Center, 2200 P Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC



B&W Photos

HB299922

HB299923

HB299924

HB299925

HB299926


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Northwest, Washington, DC

Find maps of Washington, DC


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS DC-664
Building/structure dates: 1937 initial construction
Significance: The Neoclassical design of this filling station respects its location in the neighborhood of embassies and churches at a critical intersection of the city's urban grid and the Rock Creek & Potomac Parkway entrance at P Street. The lot on which it stands is under the jurisdiction of the Shipstead-Luce Act, so the architecture and setting responded to the requirements of this review process; the formality of the building is otherwise uncharacteristic for a service station.

Subjects
Automobile Service Stations


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF NORTH (FRONT) AND WEST FACADES, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
2. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF NORTH (FRONT) AND EAST FACADES, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
3. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF EAST FACADE, LOOKING NORTHWEST
4. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF EAST FACADE, LOOKING NORTHWEST
5. VIEW OF GARAGE BAY ON EAST FACADE AND NEOCLASSICAL-STYLED SOFT-DRINK MACHINE SHELTER


Back to Washington, District of Columbia