Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

District of Columbia

>

Washington

>

Atlantic Building, 930 F Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC



B&W Photos

HB293783

HB293784

HB293785

HB293786

HB293787

HB293788

HB293789

HB293790

HB293791

HB293792

HB293793

HB293794

HB293795


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Atlantic Building, 930 F Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC

Location
Northwest, Washington, DC

Find maps of Washington, DC


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS DC-569-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-82).
Building/structure dates: 1887 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1902 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1940 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
Significance: When the Atlantic Building was completed in 1888, it was the largest commercial structure in the city and one of the first with a passenger elevator. The speculative office building was designed by James Hill Green, who had served as supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury and was the designer, as well, of numerous fine private buildings in Washington. The eight-story Atlantic is noted as one of the last "skyscraper" buildings to be constructed with load-bearing masonry walls. The eight story features two large assembly rooms, the location of numerous important public meetings, including one at which the National Zoo was founded. In 1890, this top floor served as headquarters for President Benjamin Harrison's inaugural committee.

Subjects
Office Buildings
Clubs (associations)


Related Names
Hill, James G.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. FRONT VIEW FROM NORTH
2. DETAIL OF FRONT ENTRANCE SHOWING FIRST THROUGH FOURTH FLOORS
3. CLOSE-UP OF ENTRANCE DOORWAY
4. THREE-QUARTER VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST OF REAR ELEVATION
5. FIRST FLOOR REAR ROOM, SAFE DEPOSIT ROOM (Note: This was the 9:30 Club during the early 1980s)
6. FIRST FLOOR REAR ROOM, DETAIL OF CAST IRON COLUMNS
7. STAIRCASE, LOOKING UP FROM FIRST LANDING
8. STAIRCASE, LOOKING DOWN FROM SEVENTH FLOOR
9. ELEVATOR AT SECOND FLOOR
10. SIXTH FLOOR, FRONT ROOM
11. EIGHTH FLOOR, ASSEMBLY ROOM
12. EIGHTH FLOOR, REAR ASSEMBLY ROOM
13. LOOKING THROUGH BROKEN SKYLIGHT ABOVE THE STAIRWELL TO IRON BEAM (NOTE: BEAM MAY HAVE BEEN USED TO HOIST HEAVY OBJECTS)


Back to Washington, District of Columbia