Merritt Parkway, Wilton Road Bridge, Spanning Wilton Road/Route 33 at I-41, Westport, Fairfield County, CT
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Wilton Road/Route 33 at I-41, Westport, CT
Find maps of Westport, CT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CT-39
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-64).
Building/structure dates: 1938 initial construction
Significance: This bridge is one of 25 different style bridges located along a 38-mile stretch of the Merritt Parkway that includes bridges of French, Italian, English or Classic Art Deco styles. These bridges were designed in the 1930s by the innovative bridge designer George Dunkleberger. It is an integral part of the parkway and is therefore eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Art Deco Architectural Elements
Concrete Arch Bridges
Connecticut Highway Department
Dunkelberger, George L.
Mariani Construction Company
Moore, Robert, Photographer
Foran, J. Mark, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF NORTH ELEVATION, LOOKING SOUTH
2. VIEW OF WEST ABUTMENT, LOOKING SOUTH
3. VIEW OF SOUTH ELEVATION, LOOKING NORTH
4. VIEW OF ABUTMENTS AND T-BEAMS, LOOKING NORTH
5. VIEW OF WEST ABUTMENT, LOOKING WEST
6. VIEW OF WEST ABUTMENT AND T-BEAMS
7. VIEW OF EAST ABUTMENT AND T-BEAMS
8. VIEW OF PARAPET AND WEST ABUTMENT, SOUTHWEST CORNER, LOOKING NORTH
9. VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING WEST FROM MEDIAN
10. VIEW OF PARAPET, LOOKING NORTH
11. VIEW OF PARAPET AND EAST ABUTMENT, NORTHEAST CORNER, LOOKING NORTH
12. VIEW OF PARAPET, LOOKING NORTH
13. SOUTH ELEVATION AND DETAILS, 1937
14. EAST ABUTMENT, 1937
15. WEST ABUTMENT, 1937
16. WINGWALLS, 1937
17. HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPH, VIEW ALONG WILTON ROAD TO BRIDGE CARRYING MERRITT PARKWAY, CA. 1940. COLLECTION CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION.
Back to Westport, Connecticut