Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Connecticut

>

Waterbury

>

Republican Building, 229-231 Bank Street, Waterbury, New Haven County, CT



See 29 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB259087
View Northeast, First On Right

HB259088
View East, West From Elevation

HB259089
View North, South Side Elevation

HB259090
View West, East Rear Elevation

HB259091
First Floor, West Wall Looking East, Bar

HB259092
First Floor, Looking Southwest, Bar

HB259093
First Floor, Southwest Corner Looking East And Up, Stairwell

HB259094
Third Floor, West Room, West Wall

HB259095
Third Floor, Stairwell Looking West And Up, Skylight Detail


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
229-231 Bank Street, Waterbury, CT

Find maps of Waterbury, CT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CT-411
Building/structure dates: 1883 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1980 subsequent work
Significance: In 1883 Corinne and J. Henry Morrow purchased the south-west corner of Henry C. Griggs' homestead, and built the Republican Building to accommodate his expanding newspaper and printing businesses. The Waterbury Republican, founded by Morrow as a weekly paper in 1881, printed its first daily edition from the new Republican Building in 1884. Typical of the Victorian period, the Republican Building's stylistic sources are eclectic. But, nonetheless, its appearance is simple if not elegant. Most ornamentation is limited to the gabled parapet where brick corbeling and terra-cotta panels frame a large semi-circular window below. Although the Republican was the earliest commercial building in the area, and prefigured the ultimate development of the block, it is perhaps more significant in its place within the entire Bank Street Historic District: a contiguous row of multi-story buildings set close to the sidewalk, highly decorative and diverse in style, yet closely related in size, scale, and materials. Together the four buildings are typical of Waterbury's commercial architecture at the turn of the century. They also represent the city's prosperity and its economic growth during that period.

Subjects
Commercial Facilities
Restaurants
Saloons


Related Names
Morrow, Corinne
Griggs, Henry C.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW NORTHEAST, FIRST ON RIGHT
2. VIEW EAST, WEST FROM ELEVATION
3. VIEW NORTH, SOUTH SIDE ELEVATION
4. VIEW WEST, EAST REAR ELEVATION
5. FIRST FLOOR, WEST WALL LOOKING EAST, BAR
6. FIRST FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTHWEST, BAR
7. FIRST FLOOR, SOUTHWEST CORNER LOOKING EAST AND UP, STAIRWELL
8. THIRD FLOOR, WEST ROOM, WEST WALL
9. THIRD FLOOR, STAIRWELL LOOKING WEST AND UP, SKYLIGHT DETAIL


Back to Waterbury, Connecticut