Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Connecticut

>

Norwalk

>

South Norwalk Railroad Station (Eastbound), Monroe Street, Norwalk, Fairfield County, CT



B&W Photos

HB264912

HB264913

HB264914

HB264915

HB264916

HB264917

HB264918


Item Title


Location
Monroe Street, Norwalk, CT

Find maps of Norwalk, CT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CT-437
Significance: The South Norwalk Railroad Station has served as Norwalk's primary railroad station for almost 100 years. It was built when railroads were in their ascendancy, in this case, when the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad (a new consolidation of railroad companies) was improving and expanding service by four-tracking the right of way, eliminating curves, and building new stations throughout their various routes. The eastbound station, parallel but not opposite the westbound station, is almost identical in appearance.

Subjects
Railroad Stations


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
View northwest, south and east sides
View southeast, north side
Detail above southside doorway, face on brick
Main waiting room (burned out), view northeast
Detail of wood trim, portion of orig. waiting room
Photocopy of old postcard, showing orig. station
Photocopy of old postcard, showing enlarged view of NYNH & H.RR Sta., Stamford CT; almost identical to So. Norwalk Sta. (similar Norwalk views unavailable)


Back to Norwalk, Connecticut