Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Connecticut

>

New%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHaven

>

Reverend John Woodward House, 409 Forbes Avenue, New Haven, New Haven County, CT



B&W Photos

HB246309
Historic American Buildings Survey Undated Exterior Showing North Front Prior To Addition Of Existing Front Porch (view C) This View Predates Views A And B From The Collection Of Mrs

HB246310
Historic American Buildings Survey Undated Exterior Showing North And East Facades (view A) From The Collection Of Mrs

HB246311
Historic American Buildings Survey Undated Exterior Showing North And East Facades (view B) This View Shows Clapboards On Gable End And Therefore, Predates View A Which Shows Shingles In Upper Gable From The Collection Of Mrs


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
409 Forbes Avenue, New%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHaven, CT

Find maps of New%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHaven, CT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CT-271
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-25).
Building/structure dates: 1790 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1790 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1885 subsequent work
Significance: A modest late-18th century clapboard house, similar to the original house which had been burned by the British in 1779. One of the oldest houses in New Haven. It was built on land purchased from the Indians in 1720. The Woodward family descendants occupied the land for almost two hundred and fifty years.

Subjects
Houses


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey UNDATED EXTERIOR SHOWING NORTH FRONT PRIOR TO ADDITION OF EXISTING FRONT PORCH (View C) This view predates Views A and B From the collection of Mrs. L. T. Hazall, descendent of Rev. Woodward
2. Historic American Buildings Survey UNDATED EXTERIOR SHOWING NORTH AND EAST FACADES (View A) From the collection of Mrs. L. T. Hazall, descendent of Rev. Woodward
3. Historic American Buildings Survey UNDATED EXTERIOR SHOWING NORTH AND EAST FACADES (View B) This view shows clapboards on gable end and therefore, predates View A which shows shingles in upper gable From the collection of Mrs. L. T. Hazall, descendent of Rev. Woodward


Back to New%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHaven, Connecticut