Merritt Parkway, White Oak Shade Road Bridge, Spanning Merritt Parkway, New Canaan, Fairfield County, CT
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Merritt Parkway, New Canaan, CT
Find maps of New Canaan, CT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CT-85
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-34).
Building/structure dates: 1937 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1992 subsequent work
Significance: The bridges of the Merritt Parkway were predominately inspired by the Art Deco and Art Moderne architectural style of the 1930s. Experimental forming techniques were employed to create the ornamental characteristics of the bridges. This, combined with the philosophy of incorporating architecture into bridge design and the individuality of each structure, makes them distinctive.
Connecticut Highway Department
Dunkelberger, George L.
M.A. Gammino Construction Company
Daniel Deering Construction Company
New Haven Construction Company
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Thibodeau, Todd, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW TO WHITE OAK SHADE ROAD BRIDGE.
2. DETAIL OF WHITE OAK SHADE ROAD BRIDGE ABUTMENT.
3. VIEW TO WHITE OAK SHADE ROAD BRIDGE.
4. DETAIL OF WHITE OAK SHADE ROAD BRIDGE ABUTMENT.
5. HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPH, VIEW TO WHITE OAK SHADE ROAD BRIDGE, CA. 1940. COLLECTION CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION.
6. HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPH, VIEW LOOKING EAST ALONG PARKWAY FROM THE WHITE OAK SHADE ROAD BRIDGE, CA. 1940. COLLECTION CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION.
Back to New Canaan, Connecticut