Merritt Parkway, Lapham Avenue Bridge, Spanning Merritt Parkway at State Route 165, New Canaan, Fairfield County, CT
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Merritt Parkway at State Route 165, New Canaan, CT
Find maps of New Canaan, CT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CT-38
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-29).
Building/structure dates: 1937 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Significance: This bridge is one of 25 different style bridges located along a 38-mile stretch of the Merritt Parkway that includes bridges of French, Italian, English, or Classic Art Deco styles. These bridges were designed in the 1930s by the innovative bridge designer George Dunkleberger. It is an integral part of the parkway and is therefore eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Art Deco Architectural Elements
Concrete Arch Bridges
Connecticut Highway Department
Dunkelberger, George L.
Paul Bacco Construction Company
Moore, Robert, Photographer
Hall, Keith, Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW SHOWING WEST ELEVATION OF BRIDGE, LOOKING EAST
2. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING SPAN AND ABUTMENT, LOOKING SOUTH
3. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING ABUTMENT AND WINGWALL
4. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING WEST SPAN, LOOKING BAST
5. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING ABUTMENT AND WINGWALL, LOOKING NORTH
6. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING SOUTH ABUTMENT AND WINGWALL, LOOKING EAST
7. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING NORTH APPROACH, LOOKING SOUTH
8. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING SOUTH APPROACH AND PARAPET, LOOKING NORTH
9. VIEW OF BRIDGE, SHOWING PARAPET, LOOKING EAST
10. VIEW SHOWING BAY AREA OF PARAPET
11. GENERAL PLAN
12. PYLON DETAILS
13. FRAME DETAIL
14. WINGWALL DETAILS
15. VIEW FROM EMBANKMENT, TO LAPHAM AVENUE BRIDGE.
16. HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPH, VIEW ALONG PARKWAY TO LAPHAM AVENUE BRIDGE, CA. 1940. COLLECTION CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION.
Back to New Canaan, Connecticut