Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Connecticut

>

New Canaan

>

Merritt Parkway, (Southbound) New Canaan Service Station, Abutting North side of Merritt Parkway, New Canaan, Fairfield County, CT



B&W Photos

HB264656


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Abutting North side of Merritt Parkway, New Canaan, CT

Find maps of New Canaan, CT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER CT-134
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-84).
Building/structure dates: 1940 initial construction
Significance: The service stations of the Merritt Parkway illustrate the Connecticut Highway Department's policy of limiting private commercial development and conforming to aesthetic treatment sympathetic to a parkway setting. Built and owned by the state, these were, and continue to be, leased to private companies. Stylistically these Colonial Revival structures were influenced by the service stations of the Westchester County, New York, parkway system.

Subjects
Automobile Service Stations
Transportation


Related Names
Connecticut Highway Department
Dunkelberger, George L.
S.C. Construction Company
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Thibodeau, Todd, Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. FRONT ELEVATION OF THE SOUTHBOUND NEW CANAAN SERVICE STATION.


Back to New Canaan, Connecticut