Dayville Mills Hydroelectric Facility, North side of Route 101, .5 mile west of Route 39, Killingly Center, Windham County, CT
See 32 maps of this location
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
.5 mile west of Route 39, Killingly Center, CT
Find maps of Killingly Center, CT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CT-145
Significance: The Dayville Mills Hydroelectric Facility provided power to the Dayville Mills Complex until c1962. In 1858 Sabin L. Sayles and Harris C. Sayles of Pascoag, RI, built a textile mill building in Dayville. In the mid 1800's the area was characterized by an influx of out of state firms moving in and expanding the textile industry. In 1883 a 50 foot by 200 foot 4-1/2 story brick structure was erected by the Sabin L. Sayles Co. This woolen goods manufactory became the principal industrial institution in the village of Dayville. In 1993 the building stands vacant. The hydroelectric facilities at the Dayville Mills Complex were built c1858 to provide power for the textile machinery. In c1924 a new powerhouse was constructed. The hydropower facilities extant in 1993 consist of a powerhouse, generator, turbine, and gateworks which were all retired from service c1962.
Hydroelectric Power Plants
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTH FRONT OF DAYVILLE MILLS COMPLEX LOOKING ACROSS ROUTE 101, MILL OFFICES IN FOREGROUND, SMOKESTACK OVER BOILER ROOM AND MAINTENANCE SHOP, MAIN MILL BUILDING WITH TOWER
2. VIEW NORTHEAST, SOUTH FRONT OF DAYVILLE MILLS COMPLEX LOOKING ACROSS ROUTE 101, MAIN MILL BUILDING
Back to Killingly Center, Connecticut