Dayville Mills Hydroelectric Facility, Dam, North side of Route 101, .5 mile west of Route 395, Killingly Center, Windham County, CT
Photo Caption Pages
.5 mile west of Route 395, Killingly Center, CT
Find maps of Killingly Center, CT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CT-145-A
Significance: The Dayville Mills Hydroelectric Facility dam was built c1858 to divert water to the adjacent Dayville Mills Complex where the power of the falling water was utilized to drive textile equipment. The dam was rebuilt c1925 and stands in fair condition in 1993. In 1858 Sabin L. Sayles and Harris C. Sayles of Pascoag, RI, built a textile mill building in Dayville. In the mid 1800's the area was characterized by an influx of out of state firms moving in and expanding the textile industry. In 1883 a 50 foot by 200 foot 4-1/2 story brick structure was erected by the Sabin L. Sayles Co. This woolen goods manufactory became the principal industrial institution in the village of Dayville. In 1993 the building stands vacant.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW NORTH, SOUTH FACE OF DAM AT RIGHT CENTER, HEADGATES AND CANAL AT LEFT
2. VIEW EAST, WEST END OF DAM AT CENTER, HEADGATE OPERATING MECHANISMS AT LEFT
3. VIEW SOUTHEAST, WEST END OF DAM AT LEFT CENTER, HEADGATE STRUCTURE AT CENTER
Back to Killingly Center, Connecticut