St. Peter's Convent, 88 Main Street, Danbury, Fairfield County, CT
88 Main Street, Danbury, CT
Find maps of Danbury, CT
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CT-464
Building/structure dates: 1895 initial construction
Significance: St. Peter's Convent reflects the growth of Danbury's Catholic immigrant communities at the end of the nineteenth century. The convent was built in 1895 to accommodate nuns who taught in the parish's elementary school next door, which had an enrollment of over 900 pupils at the time. The convent also has architectural significance: its round arches, portico, decorative brickwork, and low hip roof typify the Renaissance Revival style. It is a contributing building within Danbury's Main Street Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Lynch, Henry J.
Dwyer, John J.
Fleming, Wayne, Photographer
Clouette, Bruce, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
View west, general view and east elevation; St. Peter's School visible through trees on right
View southeast, rear (west) elevation
View north, south elevation
View south, north elevation
View west, detail of main entrance
View west, detail of first floor window, east elevation
View southwest, detail of cornerstone on northeast corner
View west, interior, main stairway
View northwest, fireplace in front parlor
View southwest, dining room
View southeast, second floor corridor in main wing
View northeast, typical north end residence room, second floor, east side
View east, typical main wing residence room, second floor, east side
View northwest, basement
View northwest, roof framing in attic
View northeast, detail of laundry dumbwaiter, remodeled as a closet
Back to Danbury, Connecticut