Double Intersection Warren Truss Bridge, Spanning Blackledge River, Colchester, New London County, CT
See 31 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Blackledge River, Colchester, CT
Find maps of Colchester, CT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CT-7
Building/structure dates: 1907 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1970
Significance: Typical of truss bridges at river crossings c. 1907, particularly as constructed by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad in its upgrading o the then 40 year old line. Unlike similar bridges, on the line, however, this one includes the remains of the earlier (c. 1870) bridge abutments. These stand inside the 1907 abutments.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW ACROSS WARREN TRUSS BRIDGE LOOKING EASTERLY FROM WEST STONE ABUTMENT. THE STEEL FENCE PROHIBITS ACCESS ACROSS BRIDGE. 2. 'BARREL SHOT' LOOKING EASTERLY THROUGH TRUSS.
3. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING UPSTREAM FROM SOUTH SIDE OF BRIDGE.
4. LOOKING EASTERLY FROM WEST RIVER BANK AT EAST BRIDGE ABUTMENT.
5. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING DOWNSTREAM FROM NORTH SIDE OF BRIDGE.
6. VIEW OF WEST ABUTMENT FROM EAST RIVER BANK.
7. VIEW OF WEST ABUTMENT FROM EAST RIVER BANK.
8. VIEW OF NORTHWEST CORNER OF EAST ABUTMENT: NOTE STONE PLATFORM ON RIGHT.
9. VIEW OF SOUTHWEST CORNER OF EAST ABUTMENT AND STONE PLATFORM.
10. DETAIL OF SOUTH, SIDE OF EAST ABUTMENT AND TRUSS.
11. DETAIL OF SOUTH SIDE OF EAST ABUTMENT AND TRUSS.
12. DETAIL OF SOUTHEAST BRIDGE BEARING.
Back to Colchester, Connecticut