Saint Elmo (historical)>
Whitney-Maine House, West Main Street, Saint Elmo (historical), Chaffee County, CO
Photo Caption Pages
West Main Street, Saint Elmo (historical), CO
Find maps of Saint Elmo (historical), CO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CO-155
Building/structure dates: 1882 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1890 subsequent work
Significance: The house is notable historically as one of the most substantial residences erected in St. Elmo, the home of E.P. Whitney, builder and proprietor of one of the principal hotels of the 1880-85 boom, the American House. Architecturally, the house is alone among St. Elmo residences in the use of a central gable, marking back to carpenter gothic designs in the east before the Civil War; in the use of wooden shingles on the gables, recalling use in high-style residences of the era; and in its size: a full two stories.
Whitney, Harriet L.
Whitney, E. P.
Thallheimer, Arnold, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. WHITNEY-MAINE HOUSE, VIEWING EAST FRONT
2. WHITNEY-MAIN HUOSE, VIEWING WEST REAR
3. WHITNEY-MAINE HOUSE, INTERIOR VIEW OF FAMILY ROOM
4. WHITNEY-MAINE HOUSE, INTERIOR VIEW OF STAIRWAY
5. WHITNEY-MAINE HOUSE, INTERIOR VIEW OF KITCHEN
6. WHITNEY-MAINE HOUSE, INTERIOR VIEW OF BEDROOM
Back to Saint Elmo (historical), Colorado