Saint Elmo (historical)>
Russell-Thorp Building, West Main Street, Saint Elmo (historical), Chaffee County, CO
Photo Caption Pages
West Main Street, Saint Elmo (historical), CO
Find maps of Saint Elmo (historical), CO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CO-152
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
Significance: Represents the first commercial buildings erected in a Colorado Rocky Mountain mining camp of c. 1880 after the sawmill was established. Vertical planks were hastily put together to form the characteristic commercial false front, the emblem of a store in a mining camp. For St. Elmo, this is one of the earliest surviving commercial buildings. Howard Russell, publisher of the Mountaineer, was a prominent figure in the new camp. The building also illustrates the erection of commercial buildings for rental income.
Givens, Mrs. Lucy Cooke
Thorp, W. H.
Vandervelde, Mrs. Matilda S.
Shinn, W. C.
Thallheimer, Arnold, Photographer
Glass, James A., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. RUSSELL-THORP BUILDING, VIEWING EAST
Back to Saint Elmo (historical), Colorado