Estes Park vicinity>
Moraine Lodge, Bear Lake Road, Estes Park, Larimer County, CO
Photo Caption Pages
Bear Lake Road, Estes Park vicinity, CO
Find maps of Estes Park, CO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CO-78
Building/structure dates: 1923 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1934 subsequent work
Significance: The Moraine Lodge, b.uilt in 1923, served until 1931 as the central building of Mrs. Imogene McPherson's summer resort and as the center of social activities by the summer residents of Maraine Park. Dances and other social activities were held here. The building was never used as formal sleeping quarters for guests visiting the resort. This structure is the last building remaining that was associated with the resorts of Moraine Park. Moraine Park was for many years the center of resorts in Rocky Mountain National Park area before and after the park was created in 1915. The United States purchased the lodge in 1931, remodeled it, and since 1937 the building has served as the principal museum of Rocky Mountain National Park.
Galleries & Museums
McPherson, Mrs. Imogene Green
National Park Service
Thallheimer, Arnold, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. MORAINE LODGE, FRONT FACADE AND NORTHWEST SIDE, LOOKING EAST.
2. FIRST FLOOR INFORMATION DESK & BOOK CENTER, INTERIOR.
3. FIRST FLOOR LOUNGE, INTERIOR.
4. FIRST FLOOR DISPLAYS, INTERIOR.
5. SECOND FLOOR LIVING QUARTER SET-UP, INTERIOR.
6. SECOND FLOOR BEAVER EXHIBIT, INTERIOR.
7. SECOND FLOOR MINING EXHIBIT, INTERIOR.
8. SECOND FLOOR GLACIERS EXHIBIT, INTERIOR.
Back to Estes Park vicinity, Colorado