Globeville Community House, 4496 Grant Street, Denver, Denver County, CO
Photo Caption Pages
4496 Grant Street, Denver, CO
Find maps of Denver, CO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CO-51
Building/structure dates: 1920 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1974 subsequent work
Significance: The building is significant as a community center for the immigrant community of Globeville, a residential neighborhood with broad ethnic diversity. It provided social services to immigrant families and helped them adapt to American customs. It also offered opportunities for education, recreation, and social activities. The construction of the building is associated with two prominent Denver businessmen, William P. McPhee and Frederic R. Ross, and with the Denver Real Estate Exchange, an organization of professional real estate brokers.
Fraser, Clayton B., Photographer
Norgren, Barbara, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. OVERALL VIEW OF COMMUNITY HOUSE AND GRANT STREET. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
2. WEST FRONT. VIEW TO EAST.
3. WEST FRONT AND NORTH SIDE. VIEW TO SOUTHEAST.
4. NORTH SIDE AND EAST REAR. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST.
5. WEST FRONT AND SOUTH SIDE. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
6. WEST FRONT DETAIL. VIEW TO SOUTH.
7. WEST FRONT DETAIL. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
8. GYMNASIUM (NOW BILLIARD ROOM). VIEW TO SOUTHEAST.
9. BILLIARD ROOM (NOW GYMNASIUM). VIEW TO EAST.
Back to Denver, Colorado