Delaware Street Tramway Power Sub-Station, 1448 Delaware Street, Denver, Denver County, CO
See 13 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
1448 Delaware Street, Denver, CO
Find maps of Denver, CO
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CO-12
Building/structure dates: 1913 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1964 subsequent work
Significance: It is significant for its association with the growth and development of Denver's tramway trolley system, a major transportation system during the first half of the 20th century. This substation was instrumental in the conversion of the system from cable power to effective electrical power. It is more stylistically impressive and retains a greater degree of historic integrity than do the other remaining structures believed to have been substations.
Denver City Tramway Company
U.S. Department Of Treasury, Bureau Of The Mint
Denver Horse Railroad Company
Denver City Railway Company
Denver Consolidated Tramway Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
2. GENERAL VIEW. VIEW TO SOUTHEAST.
3. PERSPECTIVE VIEW SOUTH AND WEST FACADES. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
4. WEST, FRONT, ELEVATION. VIEW TO EAST
5. SOUTH, RIGHT, FACADE. VIEW TO NORTH
6. DETAIL OF CIRCULAR WINDOW ON FRONT FACADE. VIEW TO EAST.
7. DETAIL OF TYPICAL WINDOW ON WEST FACADE. VIEW TO EAST.
8. DETAIL OF CORNICE. VIEW TO EAST.
9. FRONT ELEVATION OF THE DENVER MINT. VIEW TO SOUTH.
10. EAST, REAR, FACADE. VIEW TO WEST, ca. 1931.
11. POWER PLANT SCAFFOLDING AND MINT TUNNEL. VIEW TO EAST, August 1, 1936.
12. EAST AND SOUTH FACADES AND 1946 MINT ADDITION, IN FOREGROUND. VIEW TO NORTH, FEBRUARY 1, 1946.
13. WEST FACADE AND MINT TUNNEL. VIEW TO SOUTHEAST, ca. 1949.
14. ROOF OF POWER SUBSTATION FROM THE MINT. VIEW TO SOUTH, ca. 1949.
15. SOUTH AND EAST FACADES. VIEW TO NORTH, ca. 1949.
16. SOUTH FACADE. VIEW TO NORTH, ca. 1965.
17. SOUTH AND WEST FACADES. VIEW TO NORTH, ca. 1970.
Back to Denver, Colorado