The Lace House, 161 Main Street, Black Hawk, Gilpin County, CO
See 12 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
161 Main Street, Black Hawk, CO
Find maps of Black Hawk, CO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CO-122
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-18).
Building/structure dates: 1863 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1976 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000246
Significance: The Lace House, constructed in 1890, is significant as a surviving example of the vernacular Gothic Revival architecture associated with the Rocky Mountain mining frontier town of Black Hawk, Colorado. The house was restored in 1975, and is one and one-half story rectangular plan building with a high-pitched intersecting gabled roof covered with wood shingles. The distinctive features are the very ornate bargeboards along the roof line, above arched ten light windows and along the porch roofline. The house is considered a contributing structure in the central city-Black Hawk National Historic Landmark District. The Lace House is part of the Central City-Black Hawk National Historic District and is considered Colorado's premier example of Carpenter Gothic architecture. Fully restored, it is also one of the few structures in Black Hawk remaining from the 1860s.
Galleries & Museums
Smith, Lucian K.
Little Kingdom Historical Foundation
G. F. Filley
Witkin, Gabrielle, Delineator
Metzinger, Mira D., Delineator
Miller, Evan E., Delineator
Ostendorf, Troy, Photographer
Donahoe, Jamie M., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SITE OVERVIEW, LOOKING SOUTH
2. FRONT OF LACE HOUSE, LOOKING SOUTH
3. OBLIQUE OF LACE HOUSE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
4. WEST SIDE OF LACE HOUSE, LOOKING EAST
5. DINING ROOM, LOOKING NORTHEAST
6. PARLOR, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
7. NORTH BEDROOM, LOOKING NORTHWEST
Back to Black Hawk, Colorado