Old Happy Isles Bridge, Spanning Merced River on service road, Yosemite Village, Mariposa County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Merced River on service road, Yosemite Village, CA
Find maps of Yosemite Village, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-104
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N833; N92).
Building/structure dates: 1921 initial construction
Significance: The Old Happy Isles Bridge is a locally-rare survivor of a concrete girder bridge in Yosemite National Park. Concrete girder bridges were the prevailing form of construction in the late 1910s and early 1920s.
Concrete Girder Bridges
Lewis, Washington Bartlett
Grogan, Brian C., Photographer
Quin, Richard H., Historian
Fleming, David R., Delineator
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. RETAINING WALL AND GAUGING STATION AT NE CORNER OF BRIDGE.
2. VIEW OF SOUTH FACE FROM EAST BANK.
3. VIEW OF SOUTH FACE AND CONSTRUCTION DETAIL OF SUBSTRUCTURE FROM NORTH BANK. RETAINING WALL OF GAUGING STATION IS VISIBLE IN BACKGROUND UNDER BRIDGE.
4. NORTH FACE OF BRIDGE FROM EAST BANK. RETAINING WALL AND GAUGING STATION TO LEFT.
5. SOUTH FACE AND RAILINGS, CONSTRUCTION DETAILS.
6. NE END OF BRIDGE.
7. VIEW LOOKING WEST ACROSS BRIDGE.
8. VIEW NORTH FROM BRIDGE SHOWING RAILING. NORTH DOME IN DISTANCE.
9. SUBSTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION DETAIL OF WEST END OF BRIDGE.
Back to Yosemite Village, California