Cascade Creek Bridge, Spanning Cascade Creek on New Big Oak Flat Road, Yosemite Village, Mariposa County, CA
See 35 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Cascade Creek on New Big Oak Flat Road, Yosemite Village, CA
Find maps of Yosemite Village, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-85
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N74; N824).
Building/structure dates: 1938 initial construction
Significance: Cascade Creek Bridge and nearby spans over Tamarack and Wildcat creeks mark a departure from the "Rustic Style" bridges completed over the previous two decades elsewhere in Yosemite. The reinforced concrete open spandrel arch bridges carry the New Big Oak Flat Road over the three creeks as they tumble in steep cascades, and takes full advantage of the scenic potential. The graceful bridges are unobtrusive and harmonize with the surrounding landscape; their stream-lined look also reflects modern bridge design, as structures were planned for higher-speed travel.
Concrete Arch Bridges
Public Roads Administration
Schimberg, A. W.
McDonald & Fealy
Soule Steel Company
Quin, Richard H., Historian
Grogan, Brian C., Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF ELEVATION FACE OF BRIDGE AND CREEK FROM BELOW.
2. LOOKING EAST AT PARKING AREA BETWEEN TAMARACK AND CASCADE CREEK BRIDGES. RAILING AT RIGHT EDGE IS THE EAST END OF TAMARACK BRIDGE.
3. VIEW LOOKING SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT NORTH ELEVATION OF BRIDGE.
4. VIEW OF ARCHES AND SUBSTRUCTURE, NORTH ELEVATION.
5. VIEW OF UPPER AND LOWER CASCADE BRIDGES AND CASCADE CREEK FROM 100 YARDS WEST OF THE ROSTRUM (ROCK FORMATION ON SOUTH SIDE OF MERCED RIVER). HIGHWAY 140 IS AT BOTTOM OF FRAME. HIGHWAY 120, THE BIG OAK FLAT ROAD CROSSES FRAME JUST ABOVE CENTER.
6. SUBSTRUCTURE VIEW, FACING WEST ELEVATION OF BRIDGE.
7. RAILINGS, ROAD SURFACE, SUBSTRUCTURE AND NORTH ELEVATION FROM NORTHWEST CORNER.
8. SOUTHEAST CORNER CONSTRUCTION DETAIL, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
9. FACING EAST ACROSS BRIDGE FROM NORTHWEST CORNER. SAME CAMERA POSITION AS CA-84-4.
10. NORTHEAST CORNER CONSTRUCTION DETAIL, VIEW OF SIDEWALK. TAMARACK BRIDGE IN LEFT REAR.
11. SUBSTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION DETAILS, EAST END OF BRIDGE.
Back to Yosemite Village, California