Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge, Headquarters Complex, Quarters No. 2, 752 County Road 99W, Willows, Glenn County, CA
See 17 maps of this location
752 County Road 99W, Willows, CA
Find maps of Willows, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2778-A
Significance: Quarters No. 2 at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC completed projects critical to the development of the refuge for waterfowl and other wildlife. The work of the CCC is recognized as important to the nation, especially because it was completed in a period of desperation, and fostered a renewed sense of pride and self-worth for the men and the country. Camp Sacramento (BF-2) was established on the Sacramento NWR on May 15, 1937, with Company 2932 beginning the work projects. The following year they were replaced by a Veterans group, Company 1920, who remained at the refuge until the program ended in July 1942. The maximum number of 200 men were enrolled at the camp at its peak. During their combined 5 1/2 years occupation, the two companies built the infrastructure of the Sacramento NWR. A tally of their accomplishments includes construction of 52 water control and road structures, one diversion dam, one combination bridge and dam, miles of dikes, roads, canals, and fence, and building the headquarters complex. The headquarters complex included two residences, a garage, service building, water tower, office, barn, duck hospital, and lookout tower.
Donovan, Sally, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Willows, California