Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

California

>

Warner Springs vicinity

>

Warner Ranch, Ranch House, San Felipe Road (State Highway S2), Warner Springs, San Diego County, CA



See 21 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB96899

HB96900

HB96901


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
San Felipe Road (State Highway S2), Warner Springs vicinity, CA

Find maps of Warner Springs, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-424
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N895).
Building/structure dates: 1845 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1858 subsequent work
Structure is associated with the Santa Fe Trail, Camp Wright, & the Battle of San Pasqual.

Significance: The Warner Ranch is a Registered National Historic Landmark and California Historical Landmark #311. It was the focal point for emigrants traveling over the Santa Fe Trail to the California settlements and gold fields from 1844; and it served as a way-station for Butterfield's Overland Mail Company from September 16, 1858, until April, 1861. It was the first well supplied trading post reached by emigrants after the long trek across the southwest deserts. It figures prominently in events incident with the arrival of the Army of the West under command of General Stephen Watts Kearny during the United States war with Mexico and the Battle of San Pasqual which was the sharpest engagement in the conquest of California. During the Civil War, Camp Wright was established on the ranch for the final staging of the California Volunteer Battalion under Colonel James H. Carleton. The buildings, extant, are of adobe brick and hand-hewn timbers put together by mortise and tenon and wood pegs, typical of the early west.

Subjects
"Mission 66" Program
Adobe Buildings
Ranch Houses


Related Names
Warner, Juan Jose
Warner, Jonathan Trumbull
De Carrillo, Vicenta Sepulveda
Vail, Walter
Butterfield's Overland Mail Company
Kearny, Gen. Stephen Watts
Ritterman, Philipp Scholz, Photographer
Van Wormer, Stephen R., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer October 2, 1960 GENERAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer October 2, 1960 EAST ELEVATION OF RANCH HOUSE
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer October 2, 1960 WEST ELEVATION OF RANCH HOUSE


Back to Warner Springs vicinity, California