Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Warner Springs vicinity

>

Warner Ranch, Barn-Trading Post, San Felipe Road (State Highway S2), Warner Springs, San Diego County, CA



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB96881
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB96882
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material
No images were found.

Item Title


Location
San Felipe Road (State Highway S2), Warner Springs vicinity, CA

Find maps of Warner Springs, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-425
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-201).
Building/structure dates: 1845 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1858 subsequent work
Structure is associated with the Santa Fe Trail, Camp Wright, & the Battle of San Pasqual.

National Register Number: 66000228
Significance: Warner's Ranch is a landmark of the history of the American West. It is strongly associated with important historical themes, including Mexican and American culture contact during the Mexican Republic; the frontier period in American westward migration, trade, and settlement; and the Gold Rush. The geographical importance of the area as an overland migration route during the 19th century and its excellent livestock pasturage were important elements in its development. American Jonathan Trumbull Warner, an early immigrant to Mexican California, originally occupied the valley in 1844 for the purpose of cattle ranching. He later built a trading post to take advantage of the overland migration trade resulting from the Gold Rush of 1848 through the early 1850s. The original adobe portion of the existing Warner's Ranch Barn may be part of that trading post. The building later became a station for the Butterfield Overland mail. In the late 19th century, a wood, peg-timbered barn was built to support large-scale cattle ranching. It was directly associated with the success of two of the largest cattle ranching businesses in Southern California between the late 1880s and 1961. Warner's Ranch was recognized as a site of exceptional importance in American history in 1962, when the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service identified it as a National Historic Landmark.

Subjects
"Mission 66" Program
Adobe Buildings
Barns


Related Names
Warner, Jonathan Trumble
Warner, Juan Jose
De Carrillo, Vicenta Spulveda
Vail, Walter
Kearny, Gen. Stephen Watts
Butterfield's Overland Mail Company
Ritterman, Philipp Scholz, Photographer
Van Wormer, Stephen R., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer October 2, 1960 NORTHWEST CORNER OF BARN (Showing Wood Frame Tack Room)
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer October 2, 1960 OLD ADOBE WALL OF BARN (Looking South Inside Tack Room)


Back to Warner Springs vicinity, California