Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Structural Shop, Near State Highway 37, Vallejo, Solano County, CA
See 21 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Near State Highway 37, Vallejo, CA
Find maps of Vallejo, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-3-A
Building/structure dates: 1854 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1979 demolished
National Register Number: 75002103
Significance: Mare Island was established by Commander (later Admiral) David Glasgow Farragut as the first Naval base in California. Building No. 51 was a prime example of an industrial building constructed by the U.S. Navy in the 19th Century.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. View showing bridge between Buildings No. 51 and 53, taken in 1912.
3. 1905 drawing showing trusses under second floor of Building No. 51.
8. View of Building No. 51, South and West (front) elevation.
9. Building No. 51, South and East (rear) elevation.
10. Building No. 51, Southeast corner.
Back to Vallejo, California