Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Sail Loft, Near State Highway No. 37, Vallejo, Solano County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Near State Highway No. 37, Vallejo, CA
Find maps of Vallejo, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-3-C
Building/structure dates: 1854 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1979 demolished
National Register Number: 75002103
Significance: Mare Island was established by Commander (later Admiral) David Glasgow Farragut as the first Naval base in California. Building No. 55 was a prime example of an industrial building constructed by the U.S. Navy in the 19th Century.
Boat & Ship Industry
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Interior view of Building No. 55, taken in 1913.
4. Building No. 55, South and East (rear) elevation.
5. Building No. 55, South and West (front) elevation.
6. Building No. 55, West (front elevation)
7. Building No. 55, second floor, office area, central portion of building.
Back to Vallejo, California