Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Santa%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara

>

Agnews State Hospital, Female Nurses Home, South Circle Drive between Fourth & Mesa Lanes, Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, CA



B&W Photos

HB194309
BWPhotos 377222

HB194310
BWPhotos 377223

HB194311
BWPhotos 377224

HB194312
BWPhotos 377225

HB194313
BWPhotos 377226

HB194314
BWPhotos 377227

HB194315
BWPhotos 377228

HB194316
BWPhotos 377229


Item Title
BWPhotos 377229

Location
South Circle Drive between Fourth & Mesa Lanes, Santa%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara, CA

Find maps of Santa%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2710-AO
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1998 demolished
Significance: Building 108 is significant during the period from 1914 to 1941 as an integral component of the reconstruction of Agnews State Hospital in a pavilion plan. The 1907 design for the hospital symbolized not only a reconfiguration of buildings into smaller structures in a park-like setting, but an important change in the perspectives on and the treatment of patients. Agnews was the first mental facility in California to switch from the confinement and permanent housing of patients to humane treatment with the hope of release. Building 108, the Nurses Home, Female represents the portion of the new plan dedicated to staff residences. Building 108 and Building 109 served as group housing for employees most of whom worked as nurses and attendants in the patient facilities. In keeping with the pavilion model advocated by Leonard Stocking, Superintendent of the Hospital from 1904 to 1931, Building 108 was constructed as a small, specialized housing unit surrounded by grass and trees. In addition, Building 108 and the other structures from the 1907 and 1915 plans are important as early attempts to use reinforced concrete as an earthquake and fire-resistant material.

Related Names
Porter, William A., Photographer
Stock, Jody, Historian
Corbett, Michael, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Santa%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara, California