Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Santa%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara

>

Agnews State Hospital, Kitchen, Commissary & Bakery, Avenue A at Third Street, Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, CA



B&W Photos

HB193913
BWPhotos 377172

HB193914
BWPhotos 377173

HB193915
BWPhotos 377174

HB193916
BWPhotos 377175


Item Title
BWPhotos 377175

Location
Avenue A at Third Street, Santa%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara, CA

Find maps of Santa%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2710-Y
Building/structure dates: 1908 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1926 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1958 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1994 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1998 demolished
Significance: Building 38 is significant as an integral component of the reconstruction of Agnews State Hospital in a pavilion plan. The 907 design for the hospital represented not only a reconfiguration of buildings into smaller structures in a park-like setting, but an important change in the perspectives on and the treatment of patients. Building 38 was originally three separate structures -- Buildings 14, 12 and 13. These buildings -- the Bakery, Kitchen, and Commissary -- functioned as the food service sector of the 1908 hospital. In keeping with the pavilion model, the food preparation buildings were separate from each other, and the residences of the patients they served. By 1956, Building 38 had been combined through additions into one structure and housed occupational therapy resources, exercise facilities, and the music department. The new function of the building represented Agnew official's continuing focus on the rehabilitation of patients.

Related Names
Porter, William, Photographer
Stock, Jody, Historian
Corbett, Michael, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Santa%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BClara, California