Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

California

>

Santa Rosa

>

Luther Burbank House, 200 Santa Rosa Avenue, Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, CA



B&W Photos

HB82876

HB82877

HB82878

HB82879


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
200 Santa Rosa Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA

Find maps of Santa Rosa, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2201
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-182).
Building/structure dates: 1874 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1906 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1927 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1955 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1977 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000241
Significance: The Burbank House is significant as it was the residence of Luther Burbank during a very productive portion of his life and was the site of his early work in plant research and breeding. The house, located on a prominent street near the present commercial and administrative center of Santa Rosa, is a unique part of the City's heritage. / In September, 1884, nearly a decade after his arrival in California, Luther Burbank bought a four-acre plot of land on the southern edge of Santa Rosa. Soon after the purchase, Burbank, his mother and sister moved into the existing house on the property. At the edge of town, immediately south of the iron bridge over Santa Rosa Creek and situated on the county's main north-south road, the house and property provided an ideal setting for Burbank's growing horticultural enterprise. Although the precise date of construction is unknown, the house appears to have been built in the decade before Burbank bought it in 1884. The wood frame structure is in the modified Greek Revival tradition. In 1906 Burbank built a new and larger house on another site symbolizing his successes and left behind his smaller house. Between 1906 and Burbank's death in 1926, the old house served as an office, as a storage place, and as guest living quarters. In 1927, his widow, Elizabeth Burbank moved into the old Burbank house. In the following decade she undertook extensive remodeling of the house, opening up the south wall with doors and windows and adding a bedroom on the second floor. In 1977, with the death of Mrs. Burbank, the property was passed on to the city of Santa Rosa.

Subjects
Handicapped Persons
Houses
Historic House Museums


Related Names
Burbank, Luther
Burbank, Elizabeth
Carter, Tim, Field Team
Razzo, Robert, Field Team
Gehrke, Wayne, Field Team
Razzo, Robert, Photographer
Gehrke, Wayne, Photographer
Markwyn, Dan, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. EXTERIOR, NORTH ELEVATION SHOWING MAIN ENTRY PORCH ON RIGHT
2. EXTERIOR, WEST ELEVATION
3. EXTERIOR, SOUTH ELEVATION FROM SOUTHEAST
4. EXTERIOR, NORTHEAST VIEW INCLUDING BRICK WALL AND GATE


Back to Santa Rosa, California