Santa Rosa vicinity>
Fountain Grove, Barn, Mendocino Avenue & US Highway 101, Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Mendocino Avenue & US Highway 101, Santa Rosa vicinity, CA
Find maps of Santa Rosa, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-1915
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-58).
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Significance: Built in the late 19th century as part of an utopian experiment centering around the Fountain Grove Winery. / 1875-Built by Russian sailors (not wholly confirmed) hired by Thomas Lake Harris. The barn is one of a complex of buildings serving agricultural and winery operations of "The Brotherhood of the New Life," a religious colony founded by Harris at Fountaingrove earlier in the same year. 1922-ownership of Fourntaingrove passed into hands of Kenaye Nagasawa, a close associate of Harris. Nagasawa operated the property primarily as a commercial vineyard and winery. 1934-Upon the death of Nagasawa, no activity at Fountaingrove until it was purchased three years later by E. Macboyle. Since that time, ownership has passed through various owners to present owner, Robert Walter. The winery is now totally inoperative.
Brotherhood Of The New Life
Harris, Thomas Lake
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR, GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTH
2. EXTERIOR, GENERAL VIEW FROM WEST
3. EXTERIOR, WEST SIDE, CLOSE-UP
4. EXTERIOR, NORTH ENTRANCE
5. EXTERIOR, DETAIL OF NORTH ENTRANCE AND SECOND FLOOR OPENING
6. INTERIOR, FEEDING STALLS
7. INTERIOR, HAYLOFT
8. INTERIOR, CLOSE-UP OF HAYLOFT
Back to Santa Rosa vicinity, California