San Luis Obispo vicinity>
Salinas River Project, Cuesta Tunnel, Southeast of U.S. 101, San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Southeast of U.S. 101, San Luis Obispo vicinity, CA
Find maps of San Luis Obispo, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-153-A
Building/structure dates: 1942 initial construction
Significance: The Cuesta Tunnel is important as an example of the heroic engineering and construction undertaken by the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps in the early 1940s as part of the mobilization of American forces prior to World War II. The tunnel was constructed in less than 9 months from planning to use, an astonishing rate of construction given the length and diameter of the tunnel. While not unusually large or long in the general context of tunnels in California, the Cuesta Tunnel is an important example of the work of the Quartermaster Corps and private engineering and construction firms under mobilization conditions.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. LANDSCAPE CONTEXT 1: SOUTH PORTAL AREA, LOOKING TO SOUTHEAST.
2. LANDSCAPE CONTEXT 2: SOUTH PORTAL, LOOKING TO NORTHEAST.
3. NORTHWEST AND SOUTHWEST ELEVATIONS, SOUTH PORTAL, LOOKING EAST-NORTHEAST.
4. DETAIL, SOUTHWEST ELEVATION, SOUTH PORTAL. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
5. SOUTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST ELEVATIONS, SOUTH PORTAL, SHOWING BOX ENCLOSING VALVES. VIEW TO NORTH.
6. SOUTH PORTAL FROM ABOVE. VIEW TO WEST.
7. LOOKING INTO EXIT CHAMBER FROM OUTSIDE SOUTH PORTAL. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
8. NORTH PORTAL, SOUTHEAST AND NORTHEAST ELEVATIONS. VIEW TO WEST-SOUTHWEST.
9. NORTH PORTAL, NORTHEAST ELEVATION. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST.
10. NORTH PORTAL, LOOKING SOUTHWEST INTO ENTRANCE CHAMBER.
11. INTERIOR OF EXIT CHAMBER AT SOUTH PORTAL.
12. MID-DISTANCE VIEW OF FACING OF LAST LINED SECTION LEADING TO SOUTH PORTAL.
13. GROOVED FOOTING (CONSTRUCTION KEY) EXTENDING ABOVE CEMENT FLOOR IN FIRST UNLINED SECTION BEYOND SOUTH PORTAL.
14. REMAINS OF WOODEN MEMBERS IN TUNNEL ROOF, SHOWING WIRING AND COPPER NAILS.
15. DETAIL, ROOF OF LINED SECTION.
16. STRUCTURAL REMAINS (EXPLOSIVES MAGAZINE?) WEST OF SOUTH PORTAL.
17. AIR SURGE RELIEF VALVES IN BOX AT SOUTH PORTAL.
18. FOUR INCH AIR SURGE RELIEF PIPE A FEW METERS SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH PORTAL.
19. REGIONAL MAP, SALINAS RIVER PROJECT, CAMP SAN LUIS OBISPO, IN CENTRAL PORTION OF SAN LUIS OBISPO, CALIFORNIA. Leeds Hill Barnard & Jewett - Consulting Engineers, February 1942.
20. GEOLOGY, PLAN AND PROFILE, SHOWING LINED AND UNLINED SECTIONS, AND DETAILED TYPICAL CROSS SECTIONS. Leeds, Hill, Barnard & Jewett drawing, no number, revised 3-20-42.
21. CHAINAGE FROM SALINAS DAM TO NORTH PORTAL, STATIONS. Leeds, Hill, Barnard & Jewett drawing, no date, no number, title block partially obscured.
22. TRANSMISSION MAIN, PLAN AND PROFILE, INDEX SHEET. Leeds, Hill, Barnard & Jewett drawing, no date, no number.
23. CUESTA TUNNEL, PORTAL STRUCTURES. Leeds, Hill, Barnard & Jewett drawing, no number, revised 10/10/41.
Back to San Luis Obispo vicinity, California