Winchester House, 525 South Winchester Boulevard, San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
525 South Winchester Boulevard, San Jose, CA
Find maps of San Jose, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2107
Building/structure dates: 182 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Significance: This extraordinary structure is sui generis. Constructed over a period of 38 years because its owner, Winchester Rifle heiress Sarah L. Winchester believed she would live as long as construction continued, the house contains 160 rooms and covers six acres. The original portion purchased in 1884 contains 17 rooms. Some of the 40 stairways and 2,000 doors lead nowhere.
Windhester, Sarah L.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EAST FRONT
2. VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST
3. SOUTH END OF EAST FRONT
4. VIEW LOOKING SOUTH FROM TOP FLOOR
5. VIEW LOOKING WEST FROM TOP FLOOR
6. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST FROM TOP FLOOR
7. ROOFS, LOOKING SOUTH FROM TOP FLOOR
8. LIVING ROOM FIREPLACE ON EAST WALL
9. SARAH WINCHESTER'S BEDROOM, SECOND FLOOR
10. DETAIL OF STAINED GLASS DAISY-PATTERNED WINDOW
VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST
DETAIL OF STAINED GLASS
Back to San Jose, California