Howard B. Gates House, 62 South Thirteenth Street, San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA
See 16 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
62 South Thirteenth Street, San Jose, CA
Find maps of San Jose, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2077
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-128).
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
Significance: The Gates house is San Jose's only example of the work of the noted California architect, Bernard Maybeck. The chalet form with its historical detailing and the open plan, featuring an oversized fireplace and dramatic staircase, are characteristic of Maybeck's highly original residential work; but the house conforms in large part to its conventional turn-of-the-century upper middle-class setting as well. It was built in 1904 for physician Howard B. Gates.
Thorp, J. C.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST
2. EAST END, LOOKING NORTH
3. MAIN (SOUTHWEST) ENTRANCE AND LIVING ROOM BALCONY
4. MAIN ENTRANCE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
5. SCROLL BRACKET SUPPORTING BALCONY
6. CORNER OF OVERHANGING ROOF SOFFIT
7. STAIRWAY, VIEW FROM ENTRANCE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
8. STAIRWAY, LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM MUSIC ROOM
9. STAIRWAY, LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM THIRD FLOOR, SHOWING SEAT ON SECOND-FLOOR LANDING
10. DINING ROOM BUFFET ON SOUTHWEST WALL
11. DINING ROOM WINDOW IN NORTHEAST WALL
12. LIVING ROOM, LOOKING SOUTH FROM MUSIC ROOM
13. Photocopy of photograph (original in Documents Collection, College of Environmental Design, University of California, Berkeley, CA) Circa 1910, photographer unknown VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST
Back to San Jose, California