Ship BALCLUTHA, 2905 Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA
See 18 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Please email us to
purchase this image.
2905 Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco, CA
Find maps of San Francisco, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-54
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N5).
Building/structure dates: 1886 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1911 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1955 subsequent work
National Register Number: 76000178
Significance: One of the last surviving steel-hulled full-rigged ships. Vessel involved in the 19th century Pacific Coast grain trade and the 20th century Pacific Coast salmon packing trade.
Charles Connell & Company
J.J. Moore & Company
Alaska Packers Association
Kissinger, Frank A (Tex)
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Port side profile.
2. View toward the port bow.
3. View of bow.
4. 3/4 view of starboard profile looking aft.
5. View of stern.
6. Starboard profile of bowsprit.
7. View of bow, starboard side.
8. Bow profile, port side, taken during move to Hyde Street Pier.
9. Starboard profile of stern.
10. View forward of main deck taken from mainmast top.
11. View aft of poop deck taken from mainmast top.
12. Forecastle deck, starboard side, looking forward toward bowsprit.
13. View from head of forecastle deck looking aft.
14. Forecastle deck capstan and bitts.
15. Starboard anchor and cathead.
16. Forecastle head deck and bowsprit.
18. Port cathead.
19. Fish tackle.
20. Ship's bell, located on the forecastle deck breast rail. Photograph taken by Russell Booth, June 1989.
21. View aft along centerline of ship from forecastle deck rail.
22. Foremast starboard fiferail.
23. Ventilator, main stays, and foremast at main deck.
24. Foremast shrouds, port side at main deck.
25. View up foremast, starboard side.
26. View up mainmast, forward face, showing upper and lower topsail, topgallant and royal spars.
27. Mizzenmast, top, topgallant and royal masts and spars, forward view.
28. Foremast, top, topgallant and royal masts and spars, view from behind.
29. View looking up foremast from main deck.
30. View of fore topmast taken from main top.
31. Main truss.
32. Detail of main shrouds and main stay at top, starboard side.
33. View aft of main deck, port side, taken from just aft of forecastle bulkhead showing foremast, fore shrouds, pig house, midship house and boat skids.
34. Midship house: carpenter's shop, view taken from starboard side.
35. Midship house: galley, view taken from port side.
36. Midship house: Brassbounders' (apprentices) half deck (crew's workshop at time of photo).
37. View aft of port side of main deck taken from just aft of midship house, showing main hatch, mainmast and poop bulkhead.
38. Main shrouds at main deck, port side.
39. Main starboard fife rail and bilge pumps at mainmast.
40. View looking down on bilge pumps from poop deck, starboard side.
41. View from mizzen hatch looking forward toward capstan, mainmast. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
42. View from forward end of poop deck, port side, looking aft toward poop capstan, booby hatch, and mizzenmast. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
43. Poop deck capstan. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
44. BALCLUTHA maintenance crew members (left to right), rigger foreman Steven Hyman, riggers Tamerlane Halaj and Timothy Przygocki, with main shrouds beyond. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
45. Oblique view of booby hatch showing aft and port faces. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
46. Mizzen fife rail, port side. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
47. Oblique view of chart house showing aft and port faces. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
48. Chart house interior, view aft toward stairs to master's cabin.
49. Chart house interior, view forward toward built-in chest of drawers, ship's clock and barometer.
50. Oblique view aft of saloon skylight with steering gear beyond, mizzen gaff boom above. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
51. Forward face of saloon skylight. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
52. Patent steering gear, hatch and steering compass binnacle, view from starboard looking aft. Photograph by Jet Lowe, April 1988.
53. Patent steering gear, saloon skylight, and chart house beyond, view from port looking forward. Jet Lowe photographer, April 1988.
54. Starboard profile of steering gear, wood housing has been removed showing mechanism. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
55. Oblique view aft of steering gear, showing mechanism. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
56. Steering gear mechanism, view forward. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989.
57. View looking aft, bunks are a museum reconstruction ca. 1955.
58. View of windlass, looking forward (cage is a museum addition).
59. Windlass, port side.
60. Windlass, view looking aft, hatch to modern galley in foreground.
61. View of bow stoppers (compressors) from port side looking forward.
62. View looking aft from starboard side.
63. Starboard profile of mizzenmast, original poop bulkhead to left.
65. Saloon looking aft toward built-in sofa.
66. View across saloon toward open door of spare cabin, displayed as children's room, hanging bottle rack in foreground, beneath skylight.
67. View of saloon looking forward toward built-in sideboard with mirror.
68. View across saloon to port toward door to mates' quarters, cage is a museum addition.
69. Saloon, view forward toward built-in sideboard; hanging bottle rack in foreground.
70. Saloon, view up into skylight.
71. Saloon, view of port side panelling and doors leading to mates' quarters.
72. Master's cabin, view looking forward toward bed and chest of drawers.
73. Master's cabin, view looking forward toward chest of drawers, and built-in sofa.
74. Master's cabin, view aft.
75. Master's bath.
76. Master's bath.
77. Spare cabin, view aft.
78. Storeroom, port side, showing rudder post.
79. 'China Town', starboard side looking aft past bunk bed frames.
80. Port side cargo port at frame number 40.
81. Stern area, linoleum has been removed showing possible original decking. Russell Booth photographer, December 1990.
82. Lumber ports at stern. Jet Lowe photographer, April 1988.
83. Open lumber hatch in deck, portside. Russell Booth photographer, December 1990.
84. View up through lumber hatch from lower hold. Russell Booth photographer, December 1990.
85. Closer view through lumber hatch from lower hold. Russell Booth photographer, December 1990.
86. View aft toward collision bulkhead.
87. View forward at 'tween deck level.
88. View forward of lower level.
89. View forward from base of fore peak.
90. View of base of collision bulkhead, port side.
91. View down at chain locker bulkhead showing keelson and end of chain at floor, frame number 110.
92. View aft of storage and maintenance area from near frame number 96, port side.
93. Detail of structure at frame 76, starboard side looking aft, deck hand Mike Wall in lower right.
94. Starboard side looking aft from frame 64, toward museum display.
95. 'Rigger's Loft' (not original) looking aft, port side, from approximately frame number 50.
96. View aft, port side, from just forward of the mizzenmast. Cans in foreground store Fluid Film, used to protect structural steel below waterline from oxidation. Sails stored on shelving in background have since been moved to Museum Storage.
97. View down at mizzenmast step.
98. View aft toward stern, port side, from approximately frame 18.
99. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
100. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
101. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
102. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
103. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
104. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
105. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
106. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
107. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
108. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
109. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
110. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
111. BALCLUTHA is moved from Pier 41 to Hyde Street Pier.
112. Starboard profile, 1988.
113. Port profile, some layers of paint have been removed, 1990.
114. Close-up view of face, 1988.
115. After side.
116. Port side.
117. Fore side showing receptacle for flinders bar, used to counteract deviation caused by surrounding metals.
118. Detail of the compass face.
119. The door in the after side of the binnacle has been removed to show the iron the storage area of the iron pieces used for compass adjustment.
120. BALCLUTHA in San Francisco Bay, pre-1911. Photo by Wilton.
121. BALCLUTHA pre-1911. I. F. Dunn Collection. (A6.20,664n)
122. Pre-1911. 'Ship, Star of Alaska, Entering Chignik Bay, Alaska', noted on photograph. Fred Heick Collection.
123. Pre-1911. View forward from near mizzen hatch, starboard side showing crew standing on a load of lumber. Note main fife rail, small hatch with cover (possibly original 'lime juice hatch') just aft. Fred Heick Collection.
124. Pre-1911. View forward from mizzen shrouds, starboard side; Chinese cannery workers boarding ship from barge, S/V BENJAMIN F. PACKARD in background. Note main fife rail with fresh water pump. Fred Heick Collection. (G12.799)
125. Pre-1911. Crew on main deck, starboard side at main hatch, looking aft. Note dark object in center of photo that may be original main deck capstan. Fred Heick collection. (K9.9571)
126. Extension of poop deck in 1911 at United Engineering Works, Alameda, California. (B4.35,579n)
127. Post-1911. Photo labeled 'Thwaites, 138b (or 6). Cannery Ship Star Of Alaska, Chignik, Alaska.' (G6.40,438n)
128. Post-1911 under sail. Gabriel Moulin photographer. (P80-8 8084.3n)
129. Post-1911 at berth, probably at Alaska Packer's Association yard in Alameda. (A1.35,581n)
130. Post-1911. Photograph labeled, 'SEASON 1913. CAPTAIN, 1st MATE, SUPT AND STOREKEEPER, A.P. ASS'N CANNERY, SHIP STAR OF ALASKA.' View forward from mizzenmast, post side.
131. Date unknown. View of port bow of ship berthed at Alaska Packers' yard, Alameda. Wm. Muir collection. (B2.28240)
132. View forward from port side of poop deck, just aft of chart house while ship is under sail. (J9.4,439n)
133. View forward from port side of poop deck at mizzenmast while ship is under sail. (J9.28,443n)
134. View forward from poop deck, standard compass and binnacle in foreground. (J9.40,580n)
135. Main deck, starboard side below boat beams (skids), looking toward forecastle deck from next to deck house. (J9.28518)
136. Forecastle Deck, view aft, port side. (J9.28535)
137. Forecastle deck, view aft showing capstan, bitts, foremast. (J9.28529)
138. Forecastle deck, view aft showing capstan, bell, foremast. (J9.28521)
139. As STAR OF ALASKA, 1925. Crew members at the forecastle deck capstan. (J9.28,516n)
140. Photograph of a copy of the original shop drawing for the lumber ports added in 1899. Original located at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.
141. Photograph of the drawing titled 'STAR OF ALASKA Traced from an original rigging plan by Captain C.A. Halvorson 1909 F.W. Shaw August 1944.' Original located at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.
142. Photograph of painting by Charles S. Morrell, showing BALCLUTHA while under British registry. J7.20663.
Back to San Francisco, California